24 Jun 5 immune-boosting foods hiding in your kitchen
24 Jun 2019
1. Garlic: rich in allicin, a sulphur-containing compound which has antimicrobial and other immune-boosting properties. Garlic is also beautifully warming, which is great for immune health. Other fantastic antimicrobial and immune strengthening warmers include chili, ginger and onion.
2. Mushrooms: having been used medicinally for thousands of years, these are amazing immune regulators! Shiitake mushrooms in particular are known to support your immunity.
3. Canned salmon: salmon and other oily fish (e.g. mackerel, sardines, herring) are rich in omega-3 fats, which are essential to healthy immune function. Salmon is also a great source of protein, vitamin D and B vitamins, which are vital to immunity.
4. Nuts/seeds: nutritional powerhouses, these are rich in omega-3 and are an excellent sources of various minerals (e.g. zinc, calcium, magnesium) and vitamins (e.g. Vitamin E). Pick raw and unsalted options. Some of our favourites include pumpkin and sunflower seeds, walnuts, Brazil nuts and almonds.
5. Citrus fruit: citrus fruit is rich in Vitamin C, which we all know to be good for immunity! Enjoy mandarins, which are in season at this time of year (in fact, I’m eating one right now!).